Thursday, 18 March 2010

Summer Break!

Wow, I didn't think I'd be this excited to be done with school! I haven't really been able to ride more than an hour or two each day for the last week, so today after my last final I went out for a big energy purge on the bike. Who knew bike riding was so much fun?! I pretty much just went into breakaway self-destruct mode and rode as fast as I could over as many hills as I could for four hours. It was kind of like if this song were four hours long and could somehow be turned into a bike ride:



So now that the hard part's done I can get back to the easy business of being a cyclist. I realized in Merced how nice it was to be racing because I could finally get some rest. I mean, everything but the hardest stage races in the US are less bike time and kJ than hard training, plus at races there's no work, no school, no cooking, etc. I'm pretty convinced that multi-tasking in the off-season, perhaps to a detriment, serves some kind of adrenal/stress training purpose that helps out during the season. I can't imagine how hard racing (the process) would be if all I did were ride my bike then sit around with my legs up all day.

Well, I guess I'm about to find out! Here's to the longest spring/summer break in the history of the world! Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Thumbs up for breakaway self-destruct mode.

    ReplyDelete